Re: psql & readline & win32

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql & readline & win32
Date: 2006-01-02 08:52:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I don't think it is good practice to ship packaged software that is
> > statically linked to a gpl library and then claim that
> your package
> > is bsd licensed. If I were trying to use the windows
> installer in a
> > commercial application, I sure wouldn't want that liability.
>
> Why should we statically link it?
>
> How well maintained is libedit? I'd feel happier about a
> switch if I could find a maintained home page for it.

There appears to be more than one (!)

There's one on http://sourceforge.net/projects/libedit/, and one on
http://www.thrysoee.dk/editline/ at least. And
http://www.s11n.net/editline/. And
http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/editline.html.

The second one supports cygwin, but not mingw. The first one I have no
idea, but it has made no release since 2001 so it doesn't seem very
active, whereas the second one made a release in oct 2005. I think the
second one is the one the guy in the blog post I sent before was
referring to, but I'm not sure.

//Magnus