Re: [PERFORM] Help speeding up delete

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Steve Wampler" <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>, "Postgres-performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Help speeding up delete
Date: 2005-11-17 15:39:06
Lists: pgsql-performance pgsql-www

> >>That way if someone wanted to upgrade from 7.2 to 8.1, they
> can just
> >>grab the latest dumper from the website, dump their old
> database, then
> >>upgrade easily.
> >
> > But if they're upgrading to 8.1, don't they already have the new
> > pg_dump? How else are they going to dump their *new* database?
>
> Erm. Usually when you install the new package/port for 8.1,
> you cannot have both new and old installed at the same time
> man. Remember they both store exactly the same binary files
> in exactly the same place.

Urrk. Didn't think of that. I always install from source on Unix, which
doesn't have the problem. And the Windows port doesn't have this problem
- it will put the binaries in a version dependant directory.

One could claim the packages are broken ;-), but that's not gonig to
help here, I know...

(I always install in pgsql-<version>, and then symlink pgsql there..)

> >>etc. (Seriously.) In fact, few realise at all that they should use
> >>the 8.1 dumper.
> >
> > That most people don't know they should use the new one I
> understand
> > though. But I don't see how this will help against that :-)
>
> It'll make it easy...

You assume they know enough to download it. If they don't know to look
for it, they still won't find it.

But the bottom line: I can see how it would be helpful if you're on a
distro which packages postgresql in a way that prevents you from
installing more than one version at the same time.

//Magnus