Re: [PERFORM] Help speeding up delete

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Steve Wampler" <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>, "Postgres-performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Help speeding up delete
Date: 2005-11-17 09:19:28
Lists: pgsql-performance pgsql-www

> > Perhaps we should put a link on the home page underneath LATEST
> > RELEASEs saying
> > 7.2: de-supported
> >
> > with a link to a scary note along the lines of the above.
> >
> > ISTM that there are still too many people on older releases.
> >
> > We probably need an explanation of why we support so many
> releases (in
> > comparison to licenced software) and a note that this does
> not imply
> > the latest releases are not yet production (in comparison
> to MySQL or
> > Sybase who have been in beta for a very long time).
>
> By the way, is anyone interested in creating some sort of
> online repository on pgsql.org or pgfoundry where we can keep
> statically compiled pg_dump/all for several platforms for 8.1?
>
> That way if someone wanted to upgrade from 7.2 to 8.1, they
> can just grab the latest dumper from the website, dump their
> old database, then upgrade easily.

But if they're upgrading to 8.1, don't they already have the new
pg_dump? How else are they going to dump their *new* database?

> In my experience not many pgsql admins have test servers or
> the skills to build up test machines with the latest pg_dump,

I don't, but I still dump with the latest version - works fine both on
linux and windows for me...

> etc. (Seriously.) In fact, few realise at all that they
> should use the 8.1 dumper.

That most people don't know they should use the new one I understand
though. But I don't see how this will help against that :-)

//Magnus