Re: Does PG Support Unicode on Windows?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "CSN" <cool_screen_name90001(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Does PG Support Unicode on Windows?
Date: 2005-11-17 09:00:54
Lists: pgsql-general

> Is there any truth to what this guy is saying?

Yes, some. But not much.

> > > On the other hand, Postgresql claims that "Windows
> does not support
> > > Unicode" and you can't have Unicode fields on
> postgresql on Windows.
> > > This is a big mistake. See:
> > >
> http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/faq/FAQ_windows.html
> > >
> > What do you mean "a big mistake"? By Microsoft? Or
> PostgreSQL?

We claim it doesn't support UTF8, and that is true. The misconception is in that PostgreSQL used to call UTF8 "UNICODE", with no discinctino. Windows suåpports UTF-16/UCCS-2.

That siad, we need to update the FAQ, because in 8.1 we *do* support unicode (UTF8) on win32. I'll go ahead and do that :)

//Magnus