Re: problems with postgresql.msi (installing 8.0.2)

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <postgresql(dot)org(at)likethesky(dot)com>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: problems with postgresql.msi (installing 8.0.2)
Date: 2005-05-16 12:00:23
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Is this the wrong forum to post this message to? If so,
> where should I post it?
>
> Does anyone with installation expertise on Windows know why I
> might be seeing these error messages while trying to install
> (specifically error
> 2755 from MS Installer)?

Error 2755 is a "catch all" message from MSI.

> See below, for more detail. (Is
> this the/a symptom of the McAfee issues you mention in the
> FAQs for Win32 install?)

It could be. I haven't seen this specific one, but weird error msgs are
very often because of antivirus programs.

> PostgreSQL MUI Wrapper 8.0
>
> ! The system cannot open the device or file specified.
>
> <Retry> <Cancel>

Never seen this one. It is not a message from inside the postgresql
installer, it's from your actual Windows Installer service, as part of
the OS. Something appears to be badly broken in it.

Try copying your MSI files to c:\temp and install from there. Sometimes
MSI can lose track of what drives are available, but c:\temp should fit
in any and all buffers.

//Magnus