Re: BUG #1613: Installation flaw

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <hyperspacez(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #1613: Installation flaw
Date: 2005-04-23 21:59:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>Bug reference: 1613
>Logged by:
>Email address: hyperspacez(at)yahoo(dot)com
>PostgreSQL version: 8.0.2
>Operating system: Windows XP
>Details:
>
>Hello,
>I am a new user of PostgreSQL. However, when I went to install it on my
>Windows XP machine, it was running fine until I ran into the
>screen where it
>asks me for my account name, password, and whether to run as
>service or not.
>When I entered a simple password, it (the installer) said I was using a
>possibly insecure password, and asked me if I want to use a
>randomly chosen
>when. When I clicked 'Yes', it showed me the randomly
>generated password
>which was horrendously long. When I clicked the 'back' button on the
>installer so that I could change it back to my original one, and then
>clicked 'Next' after retyping my original password, it gave me
>this error:
>Account Error: "Invalid username specified. Logon failure:
>unknown user name
>or bad password" - It somehow set a flag saying the password
>is set (for the
>installer!!!), and I didn't write down the long and abstract randomly
>generated one, so now I can't install it because I get this
>error over and
>over. If I change the account name or the service name, I get
>this error:
>Account Error: "Internal account lookup failure: No mapping
>between account
>names and security IDs was done" and am still unable to
>install PostegreSQL
>even though I hadn't installed a file from the actual
>installer. Might you
>know how to unset the password flag from the installer? I
>tried cleaning my
>registry and re-extracting postgre from the archive to no
>avail. Thanks.

The installer will reset all its information if you restart it (unless
you completed the install in which case some information is retained. To
lose all there, uninstall the product).

To solve your problem, though, I think you just need to delete the
account and start over. Since it hasn't been used yet, you should lose
nothing by diong that.

//Magnus