Re: Consultants/support company list

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Consultants/support company list
Date: 2005-03-20 14:52:08
Lists: pgsql-www

>> Well... I guess the other option is to just list everybody
>> alphabetically by default (like we do on techdocs) with
>"filter" links
>> that show the list of folks who provide support (both local and
>> globally) for a given region.
>
>Well, I have two suggestions:
>1) Do it the way Magnus has suggested, where "Worldwide
>Support" is its own
>"Region".

I've updated it now without this, instead just using regions to group
where the offices are. Lets start like that and see what things look
like once there is a bunch of data in there. If we need to, we can add
the separate region then.

Also, it no longer lists the regions, as this can be read in the
"Location" field, which makes the list take up less space.

>2) Divvy it up by language instead.

Not sure how that helps. I think it's better to group it on the regions
that the company has offices in.

>I don't like the idea of an strict alphabetical listing on one
>page, because:
> a) that's way too much scrolling, especially as the
>list of companies grows,
>and

Right, which is why we're grouping by region ATM.
While they are all on the same page now, that can easily be split up
once we have more data, if necessary (there are already bookmarks onthe
page so you can jump to your own region fast)

> b) it unfairly discriminates against SRA and Pervasive
>and in favor of AglioDBS and CMD.

No matter how it's ordered, it will discriminate against someone. Unless
you want to do random order that changes every time the mirrors update?
I think something predictable is better, and nobody can really argue
that alphabetically isn't a standard way to rder things :-)

//Magnus