Re: postgresql 8.0 on windows 2003 server

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <schen(at)graciousstyle(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql 8.0 on windows 2003 server
Date: 2005-02-26 15:26:22
Lists: pgsql-general

>Hello everyone. Thanks for the answers earlier about the new
>8.0 version.
>
>We have a client who is thinking about putting postgresql 8.0
>on Windows
>2003 Server, but he is concerned because this is the first version to
>run natively on windows. Are there any issues with 8.0 on Windows?

There are a couple of smaller issues. The biggest one is probably that
the stats collector fails under load. This does not endanger your data
in any way, but you can't use that functionality. There are also some
know performance issues in write-intensive apps taht are being worked
on. Some issues with localisation of error messages are also known.

There are sure to be other minor things as well, as it is the first
version. But there are several fairly large installations up and running
without issues that I know of, so it's not *that* bad.

>Also, with Linux it was possible to improve performance by increasing
>the amount of shared memory in /etc/shmmax
>(http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/smith20010821.php3). Does
>this need
>to be done in Windows?

No. You can increase shared_buffers in postgresql.conf, but there is no
need to change the system configuration (otehr than possibly enlarging
your pagefile if you run out). Wether the "sweet spot" for
shared_buffers is similar in win32 and unix is one of the things that
lacks data at the moment, so you'll just have to experiment around for
your specific workload.

//Magnus