Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] win32 performance - fsync question

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] win32 performance - fsync question
Date: 2005-02-24 21:33:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> You may find that if you check this case again that the
>"usually no data
>> corruption" is actually "usually lost transactions but no
>corruption".
>
>That's a good point, but it seems difficult to be sure of the last
>reportedly-committed transaction in a powerfail situation. Maybe if
>you drive the test from a client on another machine?

FYI, that's what I did. Test client ran across the network to the
server, so it could output on the console which transaction was last
reported commityted.

In a couple of cases, the server came up with a transaction the client
had *not* reported as committed. But I think that can be explained by
the commit message not reaching the client over the network before power
went out.

//Magnus