Re: Encoding types

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Patrick Meylemans" <Patrick(dot)Meylemans(at)wtcm(dot)be>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Encoding types
Date: 2005-02-23 15:14:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

> Dear,
>
> I have the following problem :
>
> On an win32 box (win2003 server) we selected as encoding
> SQL_ASII, we store data into the tables with accents ... If
> we look at it with pgadminIII it looks nice. From the
> cmd-prompt and via ODBC on the same box, the accents are
> strange characters. Is we connect from another win32 box via
> ODBC the accents are looking OK.
>
> If we do the same on a Linux machine everything looks just fine
>
> What do I mis ?

SQL-ASCII means pg doesn't know anything about your accents. It will
serve up the characters with the same ASCII value they had when you put
them in.

Your problem comes from the command prompt using a different codepage
than the GUI on windows. A way to confirm this is to creaet a simple
textfile with one of these accents in it on your disk, and then do a
"type whatever.txt" to see it in the command prompt. You should see the
same disruptance.

For information on workarounds, see the "Notes for Windows users" on
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/app-psql.html. note that in
some cases it's enought o just change the font, in some cases you need
to do both steps.

//Magnus