Re: 8.0.0 RC5-2 Processes/Interfaces Under Windows

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Randy Yates" <yates(at)ieee(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.0.0 RC5-2 Processes/Interfaces Under Windows
Date: 2005-01-31 09:13:53
Lists: pgsql-general

> I've installed this version on my Win2K machine and can
> connect using pgAdminIII just fine.
>
> I then installed libpqxx 2.4.2 via (i.e., for and under)
> cygwin and find that no matter what I do I cannot get the
> most basic test routine (test001.cxx) to execute. The problem
> appears to be in the connection string, but editing the
> source and specifying a relatively complete connection stream
> (i.e., including host, user, and password) does not work. I'm
> also getting translation errors from the library when I use a
> name for the host instead of the IP address.
>
> I've seen several interrelated, confusing, unstructured
> comments throughout both the postgresql and libpqxx
> installation documents that mention some things to watch out
> for under cygwin, but I am confused.
>
> My specific questions are as follows:
>
> 1. Is the postmaster process now a Windows process that gets
> started automatically at system bootup time?

Yes, if you installed it as such. If you use the MSI installer, this is
the default. If you installed from source, you have to register it
manually.
You can also build/install it as a Cygwin binary (non-native). I beleive
the cygwin version can also be set to be either a service or not, but I
don't know what the default is there.

You can use task manager to check if there is a "postmaster.exe" process
active, and the Services snapin to check if the service is installed and
started.

> If so, is this
> postmaster process available from both native win32 applications
> (e.g., pgAdminIII) as well as applications which run inside a
> cygwin shell?

Yes. The client communicates using TCP/IP to the server. As long as you
don't have a firewall preventing connections, it should not be a
problem.

> 2. Do I still need to start some process when attempting to run the
> libpqxx test suite under cygwin? For example, there was a process
> (forget the name) that had to be started using either cygrunsrv or
> ipc-daemon2 on at least previous versions.

No, that shouldn't be necessary. Just point your connection to
"localhost" (it has to be TCP based, not Unix sockets. Not sure if
cygwin supports unix sockets, but if it does, then I beleive it's the
default)

> The result of the "SELECT verison();" query for my system is
> "PostgreSQL 8.0.0rc5 on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC
> gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2 (mingw-special)"

This indicates you're running:
a) RC5. You should be running release. I suggest you upgrade, or wait a
day or two for 8.0.1.
b) The native (non-cygwin) version.

//Magnus