Re: BUG #1419: Uninstall v8.0 removes files v8 Beta4 is dependant on.

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Joseph Donahue" <joseph(at)odonahue(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1419: Uninstall v8.0 removes files v8 Beta4 is dependant on.
Date: 2005-01-20 19:43:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>Bug reference: 1419
>Logged by: Joseph Donahue
>Email address: joseph(at)odonahue(dot)com
>PostgreSQL version: 8.x
>Operating system: Win2K SP4
>dependant on.
>Details:
>
>I installed release v8.0 in a seperate directory from my beta4
>installation
>and then uninstalled it. This removed at least one of the
>shared files the
>beta was dependant on. When I try to start the beta as a service I get
>"pg_ctl.exe - Unable To Locate DLL" pop-up with the following
>information:
>
>The dynamic link library libpq.dll coud not be found in the
>specified path
>C:\Tools\PostgreSQL\8.0.0-beta4\bin;C:\WINNT;... (etc., rest
>of the path
>deleted).
>
>I know I should not speculate, but there is some risk that someone will
>install the release and then uninstall a beta (after
>configuring and testing
>the release) and break the release installation.

Was beta4 installed by the MSI installer? It's really supposed to take
care of that. libpq.dll should be in SYSTEM32, and shouldn't be removed
until *all* instances are uninstalled. I have tested this several times,
and it has always worked in my tests.

Do you ahve any other software installed that may have provided a
libpq.dll`?

//Magnus