Re: BUG #1355: 8.0.0 rc2 installer fails

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Scott Stillwell" <sstillwell(at)kc(dot)rr(dot)com>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1355: 8.0.0 rc2 installer fails
Date: 2004-12-23 09:00:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-www

(um, why was this filed to -www? Copying over to -bugs where it should
be. Something wrong with the scripts, I assume)

> Bug reference: 1355
> Logged by: Scott Stillwell
> Email address: sstillwell(at)kc(dot)rr(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0
> Operating system: Windows XP Pro SP2
> Details:
>
> When installing PostgreSQL 8.0.0 rc2 on my computer (Windows
> XP Professional, SP2 and all current patches), I accepted all
> defaults (with the exception of assigning a password to the
> local Windows account and the postgres password). I get the
> following error near the end of the process:
>
> Failed to run initdb: -1073741512!
> Please see the logfile in 'C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\8.0.0-rc2\tmp\initdb.log'.
> Note! You must read/copy this logfile before you click OK, or
> it will be automatically removed.
>
> While the dialog box is still displayed, I checked the
> initdb.log file. It is zero bytes with no contents.
>
> After clicking OK, the installer rolls back, at which point I
> get another dialog titled "Fatal Error" saying
>
> Installation ended prematurely because of an error.

Very interesting error :-) That means the initdb process exited with an
error code that certainly didn't come from initdb...

Have you installed any non-standard security products, or done any
lockdown from the standard level of the system? So that perhaps the
postgres account doesn't have access to required DLL files?

Also, when this happens, can you check the contents of
8.0.0-rc2\tmp\initdb.bat and see if the paths entered there are correct?

Finally, do you get anything in the windows event logs when this
happens?

//Magnus