Re: Patch to add version numbers to libpq.rc

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL Win32 port list" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "PostgreSQL-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to add version numbers to libpq.rc
Date: 2004-12-16 18:06:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-patches

>Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> We could do "date '+%y%j' to output 04349. How many bits do
>we have for
>> that last comma value? This would work unless you put out two
>> installers in the same day. However, this would not work
>for VC and BCC
>> because they don't have 'date'. This would give us an
>ever-increasing
>> value for each release.
>
>Here is a sample patch for automatically adding the year/julian date to
>the libpq.rc file. It requires moving libpq.rc to libpq.rc.in and then
>making the Makefile modifications attached. I also included how
>libpq.rc changes so you can see the numbers added.

Patch works as intended - in case you hadn't tested it on win32. I
assume using "%j" will always return "001" and never "1"? My man page
says it does, but I'm not sure if it's portable everywhere.

>I have used the existing *.def build method but for a final version I
>think I have to make it its own rule so it is recreated on every MinGW
>build rather than just when exports.txt changes or a package prepdist
>build is made.

Yes! This is very important!

>VC and BCC aleady require a prepdist build so we should
>be OK with having this built at that time always.

Yes, we no longer support building from cvs on vc/bcc unless you do the
"distprep" step manually using mingw (or unix) first.

> I can see pginstaller
>building from CVS and would like to make sure it has an updated day
>stamp so I am thinking it should be recreated every time libpqrc.o is
>created.

Yes, please!

Thanks a lot for fixing this.
Question: Would it be trivial to add the same thing to the rest of the
DLLs/EXEs? (No need in distprep, just in the general rule). Check
Makefile.global.in around line 405. Since we already have build rules
that 'sed' on the rc file...
If it's a lot of work, leave it for later. But if it's not too much, it
would be quite helpful on these DLLs/EXEs as well.

//Magnus