Re: Version numbers on libpq.dll

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Version numbers on libpq.dll
Date: 2004-12-11 20:04:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

>> Note! This is *only* necessary for libpq.dll, since that's
>the only one
>> we drop in SYSTEM32. The others can live side-by-side. It
>would be nice
>> to have the increasing between all releases just to be sure,
>but not at
>> all as important.
>>

>Why is it put in SYSTEM32? My understanding is that that's
>considered less
>than polite in the Windows world. (Buildfarm copies libpq.dll to
><install>/bin for both Cygwin and Windows, which seems to work
>just fine for
>me).

Not really. It's less than polite to put your own private DLLs there,
most definitly.

But there are only two proper ways to put in a shared API DLL file. You
either put it in SYSTEM32, or you put it in c:\program files\common
files\postgresql (in our case, of course), *and* add that directory to
the system PATH. Since it's just one file, we decided SYSTEM32 was
better. (And putting it in Common Files would still give us the very
same problem with the versioning).

If you put it in the bin directory, it can *only* be used by
applications in that directory. In our case, we'd need to install
several copies of libpq.dll (one in server/bin, one in client/bin (if
they differ), one for pgAdmin, one for oledb etc), and with this you'd
*still* be unable to use it from a third party app.

//Magnus