WIN1252 encoding - backend or not?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "PostgreSQL Developers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: WIN1252 encoding - backend or not?
Date: 2004-12-04 17:08:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

I was going to add WIN1252 to the installer, because I was under the
impression it was a "server side" encoding. But initdb won't accept
it...

Looking at include/mb/pg_wchar.h, I notice that:
PG_WIN1252, /* windows-1252
*/

is listed *above* the line stating /* followings are for client encoding
only */.

But further down we have:
#define PG_ENCODING_BE_LAST PG_WIN1250

One of these has to be wrong. Eitehr it's a server encoding, and then
the #define should be changed to PG_WIN1252. Or it's a client only
encoding, in which case it should be moved down to that part of the
enum. Right?

//Magnus