Re: win32 pgsql not installable

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: win32 pgsql not installable
Date: 2004-07-28 07:49:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> > >I know I'm going to go on some people's nerves, but it's necessary.
> > >
> > >With the current "run-as-non-admin" restriction the
> windows installer
> > >doesn't work, and it will probably be ridiculously
> difficult to make
> > >it work unless this restriction is redesigned.
> >
> > Not commenting on the other parts, but *huh*? The windows installer
> > works just fine. It does require that you manually set up a
> non-admin
> > account, but it certainly *works*...
>
> And you have to tell the system that user can start a service.

Yes and no.
The *service account* needs permissions to "Log On as a Service". It
specifically does *NOT* need permission to start/stop services, or any
other admin privileges.
The *install account* needs permissions to install files, *install*
services and start/stop services.

These accounts should always be different. The install account is the
administrator account, or whatever other accuont you use to setup your
system. The service account would typicall be called "postgres".

//Magnus