Re: postgresql as windows 2000 service problem

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <kranas(at)freemail(dot)gr>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql as windows 2000 service problem
Date: 2004-07-15 07:48:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> In event log it says something like "unable to find exe file"

Could we have the exact message, please?

> I have enabled logging in postgresql.conf but nothing else is logged.
> When I start postgres as user 'postgres' with 'pg_ctl start',
> it logs a lot of things: timezones, environment variables etc.

Sounds like it doesn't actually start postmaster. Assuming you set
log_destination=eventlog, those messages really should show up in the
application event log.

> I don't know whice exe it means. It cant be the bath because
> env system variables PATH and PGDATA are ok.

My first suggestion would be to doublecheck PATH. Remember that pg has
to be in the *system* path and not in your *user* path. The service has
a different set of env variables from the interactive user.

> To which files/folders should user postrges have rights; I
> have created user postrges as a typical user (admin or power
> user is not possible to run pg_ctl) and gave him the log on
> as service right.
> Also user postgres is the owner of the folder c:\postgres
> (with any subfolders).

It needs read access to the winnt dir (not all subdirs, but unless
you've changed something, a normal user has this). It also needs read
access to the c:\postgres directory, and write access tot he PGDATA
directory. That's it. I'd recommend *not* giving it ownership/write
permission on the postgres binary directories. The MSI installer will
eventually set an explicit DENY permission on these directories,
actually.

//Magnus