Re: pgsql-server/src backend/main/main.c backend/p ...

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql-server/src backend/main/main.c backend/p ...
Date: 2004-05-19 08:06:09
Lists: pgsql-committers

> > > Remove elog() calls from find_my_exec; do
> fprintf(stderr) instead.
> >
> > Isn't that a seriously bad idea?
> >
> > I thought that output to stderr generally goes into the bit
> bucket in
> > Windows.
>
> I have never heard stderr is ignored in Win32. There was an
> issue that buffering of stderr on Win32 wasn't line-buffered
> like on Unix, but that is the only issue I know of.

It is never ignored. WHen running as a service, you will only see it if
ou check the box "allow service to interact with desktop", and this can
only be done on Local System services (thus not postgresql) So in this
case, the end effect will be that you can't see it. But you will most
definitly see it when running it from the commandline (say, when you are
debugging why it won't start..)

//Magnus