Re: win32 binaries

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, "Thomas Swan" <tswan(at)idigx(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32 binaries
Date: 2004-04-23 16:17:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> > Yes, it uses Windows Installer (MSI). I persoanlly think this
> > is a big point. As a Windows admin, I prefer a MSI based
> > installation (if it's done the way it's supposed to be done,
> > and not just a MSI wrapper around a DLL with an old-style
> > installer) over nullsoft or similar packages. It provides a
> > standard way for unattended installations, uninstallation etc.
>
> Excellent - that's exactly why I use MSI for psqlODBC and
> pgAdmin. What tools are you using?

I started off with a proprietary tool (just to get running), but just
when I was trying to decide which tool to use, WiX came along. So now
I'm using WiX.
It's fairly simple (just create/edit a couple of XML files), and it can
do a lot. THe downside is that there is no GUI to build things in, but
it's not difficult to do. And you have total control over what goes in
the MSI, unlike some of the proprietary MSI generating tools around. A
very good point about it is that it can be automated from the
commandline, so it can be built using a makefile.

It's also free (CPL). And it's the tool the MS themselves use...

http://wix.sourceforge.net/

//Magnus