RE: Losing data from Postgres

From: Thomas Sonne Olesen <Thomas(dot)Sonne(dot)Olesen(at)teknologisk(dot)dk>
To: "'admin'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Losing data from Postgres
Date: 2000-11-16 14:20:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

IMHO the biggest problem with RAID 5 is the performance. Under
normal conditions RAID 0+1 have double read performance (since each mirror
can be accessed indepently) and in case of an error things get really bad
for RAID 5.

If a disc fails iin a RAID 5 every read to the failed disc (or disc-stripe),
requires read
from all other discs to reconstruct data, which decreases the bandwidth to
the
discsystem dramatically.
Since most systems do most reads, this is really serious.

On a RAID 0+1 (some times called RAID 10) only the disc that has lost it
mirror
decreases its bandwidth to "normal" single disc speed. All others keep
running
a double speed. And actually write performance increases since the failed
mirror can be updated.

Another point is reliability. If disc number 2 fails in a RIAD 5 we goes
down,
if we eg. have a 2 x 4 RAID 10 system, with a single disc failiur, the
chances
that the second disc fail will cause break down id on 1/7, since 3/4 of the
disc system is still redundant.

Double failiur is not happening often, but has happend if all discs is
installed
at the same time.

If I should set up an important server I will go for RAID 10, mostly because
on a heavy loaded server, the disc error bandwidth decrease in RAID 5 is the
same as
not availably.

/Thomas