Re: Determining server load

From: Israel Brewster <israel(at)ravnalaska(dot)net>
To: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Determining server load
Date: 2016-09-27 18:46:27
Lists: pgsql-general

> >I'm still curious as to how I can track concurrent connections, ...
>
> Have you considered enabling the following in postgresql.conf?
> log_connections=on
> log_disconnections=on
>
> It will put a bit of a bloat in you postgres log, but it will all allow you extract connects/disconnects over a time range. That should allow you
> to determine concurrent connections during that that.

I do have those on, and I could write a parser that scans through the logs counting connections and disconnections to give a number of current connections at any given time. Trying to make it operate "in real time" would be interesting, though, as PG logs into different files by day-of-the-week (at least, with the settings I have), rather than into a single file that gets rotated out. I was kind of hoping such a tool, such as pgbadger (which, unfortunately, only seems to track connections per second and not consecutive connections), already existed, or that there was some way to have the database itself track this metric. If not, well, I guess that's another project :)

Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska
5245 Airport Industrial Rd