RE: Connection Pooling...(Repost)...please do help..

From: "Clark, Joel" <jclark(at)lendingtree(dot)com>
To: "'Joseph Shraibman'" <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>
Cc: "Pg-Interfaces (E-mail)" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Connection Pooling...(Repost)...please do help..
Date: 2000-12-20 01:47:59
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Indeed, here is an excerpt from my original post with the context intact:

-> I haven't found PG to have much connection overhead, why would
open/closing
-> a connection-per-query require server side connection pooling? You might
-> try having your application acquire a connection on-demand and then
having a
-> timeout mechanism that discards the connection after a certain amount of
-> idle time. That [way] if you have to fire off hundreds of small queries
you don't
-> encounter connection overhead. If the machine is idle, it disconnects
and
-> the server doesn't get loaded down with tons of idle backends.

This *would* be my definition of sensible caching. It is the best of both
worlds, superceded only by an intelligent middle tier.

jc