autovacuum

From: "Sriram Dandapani" <sdandapani(at)counterpane(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: autovacuum
Date: 2006-06-14 16:52:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi

I have a table into which data flows at a high rate say 2 million rows
per hour. Every 15 minutes, these rows are processed and deleted.

At any point in time, the row count for the table hovers around 500K
(due to the deletes).

I have set max_fsm_pages to about 2000000. I still see the
pg_total_relation_size constantly reporting an increasing size.

How do I know if autovacuum is reclaiming space or is my max_fsm setting
plain wrong. (I understand that autovacuum marks tuples for reuse, but
shouldn't pg_total_relation_size take that into account)