Re: Proposal for Signal Detection Refactoring

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for Signal Detection Refactoring
Date: 2018-09-25 01:38:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> At the same time, all the pending flags in miscadmin.h could be switched
> to sig_atomic_t if we were to be correct, no? The counters could be
> higher than 256 so that's not really possible.

Yeah, in principle any global variable touched by a signal handler should
be sig_atomic_t. I don't know of any modern platform where using "bool"
is unsafe, but per the C standard it could be. The case that would be
worrisome is if setting the variable requires a load/modify/store, which
does apply to char-sized variables on some ancient platforms. I think
there's no need to worry for int-sized variables.