Re: Binary search in fmgr_isbuiltin() is a bottleneck.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Binary search in fmgr_isbuiltin() is a bottleneck.
Date: 2017-09-27 15:50:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I suppose an even better approach would be to build a perfect hash
> table at compile time so that nothing needs to be built at run-time at
> all, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. It would likely mean adding a
compile time dependency on gperf or similar tool, but we could take
our standard approach of shipping the output in tarballs, so that only
developers would really need to install that tool.

Rebuilding a constant table during every backend start seems like a
pretty brute-force answer.