Re: Logfile removal

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "A(dot)Bhuvaneswaran" <bhuvansql(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Logfile removal
Date: 2003-05-21 14:25:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

"A.Bhuvaneswaran" <bhuvansql(at)myrealbox(dot)com> writes:
> I have run postmaster with -l option. When postmaster is running, i have
> removed the logfile accidentally.

You mean the -l logfile (postmaster's stderr)? This is harmless except
that you won't have any way to look at the logfile.

> I am unable to restart postmaster now due to various other reasons.

The only way to start seeing the entries again is to restart the
postmaster, so I'd counsel doing that as soon as feasible.

What's actually happened is that the logfile is still on your disk (and
growing all the time...) but there is no link left to it in your
filesystem. The kernel knows the file is still referenced by the open
filetable entry held by the postmaster, so it won't delete the file till
the postmaster quits. But you have no way to get at it.