Re: To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the select limit

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)rdw(dot)ru>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the select limit
Date: 2001-10-18 08:04:06
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Greetings, Bruce!

At 18.10.2001, 02:34, you wrote:

>> Isn't it much worse to not follow PostgreSQL behavior than to not follow
>> MySQL behavior?

BM> Another idea: because our historical Limit #,# differs from MySQL, one
BM> idea is to disable LIMIT #,# completely and instead print an error
BM> stating they have to use LIMIT # OFFSET #. Although that would break
BM> both MySQl and old PostgreSQL queries, it would not generate incorrect
BM> results.

It doesn't seem like a good idea. The best solution, IMHO, would
be to introduce optional "MySQL-compatibility mode" for LIMIT in 7.2
Later LIMIT #,# can be marked deprecated in favour of LIMIT #,
OFFSET #
But please, don't *break* things; while this change may make life
easier for some people migrating from MySQL far more people would
be pissed off...

--
Yours, Alexey V. Borzov, Webmaster of RDW.ru