Re: WSL (windows subsystem on linux) users will need to turn fsync off as of 11.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Klein <brucek(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ravi Krishna <srkrishna100(at)aol(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WSL (windows subsystem on linux) users will need to turn fsync off as of 11.2
Date: 2019-02-15 04:28:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 2:56 PM Bruce Klein <brucek(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> In 11.1 did you see the message "WARNING: could not flush dirty data: Function not implemented"
>> Yes

> Here is a place where people go to complain about that:
> https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/645
> I suppose we could tolerate ENOSYS.

What I'm not grasping here is why you considered that sync_file_range
failure should be treated as a reason to PANIC in the first place?
Surely it is not fsync(), nor some facsimile thereof. In fact, if
any of the branches in pg_flush_data really need the data_sync_elevel
treatment, somebody's mental model of that operation needs adjustment.
Maybe it's mine.