Re: BUG #2948: default null values for not-null domains

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sergiy Vyshnevetskiy <serg(at)vostok(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2948: default null values for not-null domains
Date: 2007-01-31 21:58:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Sergiy Vyshnevetskiy <serg(at)vostok(dot)net> writes:
> Not at all. What's "broken" is the idea of variable as a simple piece of
> memory. It is correct for base types, but not for domains - they may have
> non-empty constructors (in C++ terminology).

That may be, but I'm unwilling to pay the overhead for *every* variable
when most of them won't be domains. I'm inclined to extend PLpgSQL_type
to include a domain indicator and only do it the hard way when we have to.

[ looks at code... ] Actually, I think we already have the flag we
need: look to see if the typinput function is strict.