Problem with getting static libpq.a from PostgresSQL 8.2.4 sources using MinGW

From: Robert Ayrapetyan <robert(dot)ayrapetyan(at)comodo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem with getting static libpq.a from PostgresSQL 8.2.4 sources using MinGW
Date: 2007-09-17 13:23:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

Problem with getting static libpq.a from PostgresSQL 8.2.4 sources using
MinGW.

In documentation regarding Win32 (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/install-win32.html)
there is remarked that after building we will have following binaries:

interfaces\libpq\Release\libpq.dll
The dynamically linkable frontend library

interfaces\libpq\Release\libpqdll.lib
Import library to link your programs to libpq.dll

interfaces\libpq\Release\libpq.lib
Static version of the frontend library

And I really got them (libpq.lib - 323Kb, pibpq.dll - 104Kb, libpqdll.lib - 26,6Kb)

There is nothing remarked about MinGW installation. But after building with MingW I have got libpq.dll (size 149Kb) and libpq.a (size 96Kb).

Problem is that I can't link any app statically with libpq.a -
libpq.dll always appears in dependencies.

Question is: how to get REAL static libpq.a with mingw?