Re: Problem with getting static libpq.a from PostgresSQL 8.2.4 sources using MinGW

From: Robert Ayrapetyan <robert(dot)ayrapetyan(at)comodo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with getting static libpq.a from PostgresSQL 8.2.4 sources using MinGW
Date: 2007-09-20 08:17:34
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

btw, the bug (or feature?) of libpq.a building still exists (that's why my problem occurred). Maybe it can be useful for someone.

Here is description. You will never get real static libpq.a if you have done building of shared version of libpq before. You MUST delete pseudo-static libpq.a before building real static libpq.a

Folder "\src\interfaces\libpq\":
Here is failure scenario:
1. make install (dynamic libpq.dll and pseudo-static libpq.a were created)
2. make install enable_shared=no (get real static libpq.a - fails).
Real static libpq.a wasn't created. Instead of it we can see old, pseudo-static libpq.a.

Another failure scenario:
1. make install enable_shared=no (real static libpq.a was created - indeed).
2. make install (dynamic libpq.dll and pseudo-static libpq.a were created).
Real static libpq.a was overwritten by pseudo-static libpq.a!

Here is successful, working scenario:
1. make install (dynamic libpq.dll and pseudo-static libpq.a were created).
2. delete pseudo-static libpq.a.
3. make install enable_shared=no (get real static libpq.a).
So that's only possible way to get both shared and real static libpq libraries.

Strange, why pseudo-static libp.q can overwrite real static one but can't vice-versa?

I think lot of bugs peoples have with libpq are based on that bug...

Best regards,
Robert Ayrapetyan