Re: testing HS/SR - 1 vs 2 performance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Erik Rijkers" <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: testing HS/SR - 1 vs 2 performance
Date: 2010-04-25 18:55:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Erik Rijkers" <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl> writes:
> FWIW, here are some more results from pgbench comparing
> primary and standby (both with Simon's patch).

That seems weird. Why do most of the runs show primary and standby
as having comparable speed, but a few show the standby as much slower?
The parameters for those runs don't seem obviously different from cases
where it's fast. I think there might have been something else going on
on the standby during those runs. Or do you think those represent
cases where the mystery slowdown event happened?