Re: _page_cost parameter with values < 1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: _page_cost parameter with values < 1
Date: 2017-07-20 13:40:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
> recently I have seen a Postgres configuration with the following values:
> seq_page_cost = 0.5
> random_page_cost = 0.6
> Is there any advantage (or maybe disadvantage) compared to using e.g. 1.0 and 1.2?

That reduces these costs relative to the cpu_xxx_cost ones. You'd get the
same plans if you scaled *all* the planner cost parameters by the same
amount, but changing only these two is the easiest way to reduce the
significance of I/O relative to CPU costs.

regression=# select name,setting from pg_settings where name like '%cost';
name | setting
cpu_index_tuple_cost | 0.005
cpu_operator_cost | 0.0025
cpu_tuple_cost | 0.01