Re: ICU locale validation / canonicalization

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ICU locale validation / canonicalization
Date: 2023-02-10 01:22:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2023-02-10 at 01:04 +0100, Andreas Karlsson wrote:
> I have the same feeling one is readable and the other unreadable but
> the
> unreadable one is standardized. Hard call.
>
> And in general I agree, if we are going to make ICU default it needs
> be more user friendly than it is now. Currently there is no nice way
> understand if you entered the right locale or made a typo in the
> BCP47
> syntax.

We will still allow the ICU format locale IDs for input; we would just
convert them to BCP47 before storing them in the catalog. And there's
an inverse function, so it's easy enough to offer a view that shows the
ICU format locale IDs in addition to the BCP 47 tags.

I don't think it's hugely important that we use BCP47; ICU format
locale IDs would also make sense. But I do think we should be
consistent to simplify things where we can -- collator versioning is
hard enough without wondering how a user-entered string will be
interpreted. And if we're going to be consistent, BCP 47 seems like the
most obvious choice.

--
Jeff Davis
PostgreSQL Contributor Team - AWS