Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Gilles Darold <gilles(at)darold(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15
Date: 2021-11-03 13:05:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I took a quick look at the latest patch version. In general the patch
looks pretty complete and clean, and for now I have only some basic
comments. The attached patch tweaks some of this, along with a couple
additional minor changes that I'll not discuss here.

1) Not sure why we need to call this "schema variables". Most objects
are placed in a schema, and we don't say "schema tables" for example.
And it's CREATE VARIABLE and not CREATE SCHEMA VARIABLE, so it's a bit
inconsistent.

The docs actually use "Global variables" in one place for some reason.

2) I find this a bit confusing:

SELECT non_existent_variable;
test=# select s;
ERROR: column "non_existent_variable" does not exist
LINE 1: select non_existent_variable;

I wonder if this means using SELECT to read variables is a bad idea, and
we should have a separate command, just like we have LET (instead of
just using UPDATE in some way).

3) I've reworded / tweaked a couple places in the docs, but this really
needs a native speaker - I don't have a very good "feeling" for this
technical language so it's probably still quite cumbersome.

4) Is sequential scan of the hash table in clean_cache_callback() a
good idea? I wonder how fast (with how many variables) it'll become
noticeable, but it may be good enough for now and we can add something
better (tracing which variables need resetting) later.

5) In what situation would we call clean_cache_callback() without a
transaction state? If that happens it seems more like a bug, so
maybeelog(ERROR) or Assert() would be more appropriate?

6) free_schema_variable does not actually use the force parameter

7) The target_exprkind expression in transformSelectStmt really needs
some explanation. Because that's chance you'll look at this in 6 months
and understand what it does?

target_exprkind =
(pstate->p_expr_kind != EXPR_KIND_LET_TARGET ||
pstate->parentParseState != NULL) ?
EXPR_KIND_SELECT_TARGET : EXPR_KIND_LET_TARGET;

8) immutable variables without a default value