Re: Newbie question PostgreSQL / Postgres Plus / Tuning

From: Michael Swierczek <mike(dot)swierczek(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nico Callewaert <callewaert(dot)nico(at)telenet(dot)be>
Cc: brucejhyatt(at)yahoo(dot)com, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Newbie question PostgreSQL / Postgres Plus / Tuning
Date: 2009-01-22 18:01:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

Nico,
You may also benefit from researching and testing PostgreSQL
indexes on your database. Here is the documentation on PostgreSQL 8.3
indexes: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/indexes.html
(don't forget to run the ANALYZE command after adding an index to make
sure it is used in database queries).

Where I work, we have conducted our own internal PostgreSQL testing
with database indexes. On tables with hundreds of thousands or
millions of rows, indexes on foreign key columns is cutting our query
times by over 90%, every time.

-Mike Swierczek