Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ronald Cole <ronald(at)forte-intl(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL?
Date: 2000-12-04 21:10:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Ronald Cole <ronald(at)forte-intl(dot)com> writes:
> Postgres, yes. PostgreSQL, no. PostgreSQL was a new project with
> Postgres95 as a starting point. Postgres95 was an attempt to put an
> SQL front-end on Postgres.

Right; original Postgres used a query language called "POSTQUEL",
which was sort of like SQL but not compatible.

> AFAIK, most all of the Postgres code was jettisoned early on for
> performance reasons. That makes PostgreSQL roughly five years old,
> code-wise.

This I dispute. A lot of the core functionality has a very traceable
lineage back to original Postgres; even though some details of the code
may have been revised pretty heavily, the algorithms and design
decisions remain. This has good points and bad points ;-) ... but
it's absolutely not true that Postgres95 threw away the existing code
and started over. As you said yourself, it was more of a question of
sticking a new frontend (ie, parser) on the existing database engine.