Re: Server won't start with fallback setting by initdb.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Server won't start with fallback setting by initdb.
Date: 2018-03-06 22:53:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Therefore, the condition that actually ought to be getting enforced here
> is either "ReservedBackends + max_wal_senders < MaxConnections", or
> "ReservedBackends + max_wal_senders <= MaxConnections", depending on
> whether you think it's appropriate to require at least one not-reserved-
> for-superusers connection slot to remain available if the walsenders
> slots are fully populated.

I propose the first attached patch to do that. (I failed to resist the
temptation to copy-edit some nearby docs and comments, too.)

> My proposal is to default max_wal_senders to perhaps 3, and leave
> initdb's logic alone.

... and then the second attached patch to do that.

I noticed that a lot of our TAP tests are setting max_wal_senders
and max_replication_slots to random values around 4 or 5. Probably
we could drop all that now, and let them just use the defaults.
I've not done that here, except for adjusting 010_pg_basebackup.pl
which would fail for no very good reason with minimal max_connections.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix-connection-count-restriction.patch text/x-diff 8.2 KB
reduce-default-max-wal-senders.patch text/x-diff 4.9 KB