Re: profiling connection overhead

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: profiling connection overhead
Date: 2010-11-29 18:10:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Are you sure you haven't just moved the page-fault time to a part of
> the code where it still exists, but just isn't being captured and
> reported?

I'm a bit suspicious about that too. Another thing to keep in mind
is that Robert's original program doesn't guarantee that the char
array is maxaligned; though reasonable implementations of memset
should be able to use the same inner loop anyway for most of the
array.

I did some experimentation here and couldn't find any real difference in
runtime between the original program and substituting a malloc() call
for the static array allocation. Rolling in calloc in place of
malloc/memset made no particular difference either, which says that
Fedora 13's glibc does not have any optimization for that case as I'd
hoped.