[PROPOSAL] Skip test citext_utf8 on Windows

From: Oleg Tselebrovskiy <o(dot)tselebrovskiy(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [PROPOSAL] Skip test citext_utf8 on Windows
Date: 2024-03-11 08:21:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings, everyone!

While running "installchecks" on databases with UTF-8 encoding the test
citext_utf8 fails because of Turkish dotted I like this:

SELECT 'i'::citext = 'İ'::citext AS t;
---
- t
+ f
(1 row)

I tried to replicate the test's results by hand and with any collation
that I tried (including --locale="Turkish") this test failed

Also an interesing result of my tesing. If you initialize you DB
with -E utf-8 --locale="Turkish" and then run select LOWER('İ');
the output will be this:
lower
-------
(1 row)

Which I find strange since lower() uses collation that was passed
(default in this case but still)

My PostgreSQL version is this:
postgres=# select version();
version
PostgreSQL 17devel on x86_64-windows, compiled by gcc-13.1.0, 64-bit

The proposed patch for skipping test is attached

Oleg Tselebrovskiy, Postgres Pro

Attachment Content-Type Size
skip_citext_utf8.patch text/x-diff 3.7 KB