Re: [INTERFACES] aborted transactions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: peter(dot)garner(at)toward(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] aborted transactions
Date: 1998-10-26 01:22:09
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Peter Garner" <peter(dot)garner(at)toward(dot)com> writes:
> However, it seems to me that if certain
> queries fail, the current transaction is aborted and all
> queries are ignored until the transaction is ended, either
> via commit or rollback.

*Any* backend-detected "fatal" error causes the transaction to
be aborted. I've kinda wished that transactions (atomic update)
could be separated from error-abort also, but right now the two
always go together in Postgres.

> Also if there is no begin
> transaction block, I assume that each statement is a unit
> of work and that all subsequent queries will work.

Right: a statement appearing outside any begin-transaction block
is treated as a self-contained transaction.

regards, tom lane