Re: AutoCommit GUC breaks CLI tools...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AutoCommit GUC breaks CLI tools...
Date: 2002-09-02 05:36:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org> writes:
> This is pretty chump and easy to get around, but it took me a sec to
> figure this out. Anyway, the short and skinny being that with the new
> AutoCommit GUC turned off, create(lang|db) won't work until you bail
> out of the transaction. A quick hack would be to insert an "ABORT;"
> in each of the CLI tools. Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to
> solve this? -sc

Well, like I was saying earlier, I think there is a *lot* of client-side
code that is not ready for this. I would not have thrown in the
autocommit backend feature at all, except that we need it to run the
NIST SQL-spec-compliance tests.

The answer for createlang is probably to throw a BEGIN and a COMMIT
around each command --- that should make it work in either autocommit
on or off modes. We'll have to see how well that scales to other stuff.