Re: XversionUpgrade tests broken by postfix operator removal

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, pgbf(at)twiska(dot)com
Subject: Re: XversionUpgrade tests broken by postfix operator removal
Date: 2020-09-19 14:43:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 9/18/20 6:05 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Done, you should be able to remove @#@ (NONE, bigint) from the
>> kill list.

> crake tests pg_upgrade back to 9.2, so I had to mangle those static
> repos for non-live branches like this:

Oh, hm. Now that you mention that, I see snapper is testing 9.3
and 9.4 upgrades too.

It seems like we have these non-kluge fixes available:

1. Backpatch 9ab5ed419 as far as 9.2. It'd be unusual for us to patch
out-of-support branches, but it's certainly not without precedent.

2. Give up testing these upgrade scenarios. Don't like this much;
even though these branches are out-of-support, they still seem like
credible upgrade scenarios in the field.

3. Put back the extra DROP in TestUpgradeXversion.pm. The main
complaint about this is we'd then have no test of pg_upgrade'ing
prefix operators, at least not in these older branches (there is
another such operator in v10 and later). That doesn't seem like
a huge deal really, since the same-version pg_upgrade test should
cover it pretty well. Still, it's annoying.

4. Undo the elimination of numeric_fac() in HEAD. I find this only
sort of not-a-kluge, but it's a reasonable alternative.

In the last two cases we might as well revert 9ab5ed419.

Personally I think #1 or #3 are the best answers, but I'm having
a hard time choosing between them.