Re: Contribution to postgresql

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Nicky Larson <said(dot)assemlal(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Contribution to postgresql
Date: 2018-10-22 10:26:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nicky Larson wrote:
> I am using postgresql at work, and I would like to contribute.
>
> From the todo list, I chose:
>
> Allow log_min_messages to be specified on a per-module basis
>
> Is this feature always wanted ? That would be my first contribution to postgresql, is it an easy one ?

I guess the difficult part might be specifying what exactly the
feature does and reaching a consensus on that.

TODO list items have the tendency to be tricky that way - things
that are easy to design are often already implemented.

Currently you can set the parameter based on user and database
(ALTER ROLE/DATABASE SET log_min_messages = ...).

One idea would be to enable a setting only for a certain value
of "application_name". That could be done with an additional clause
to ALTER ROLE and ALTER DATABASE. How you could do that for a global
setting is unclear to me; surely you wouldn't change the syntax in
postgresql.conf.

One good road to get into PostgreSQL development is by reviewing patches.
That allows you to learn from others and get to know parts of the code
you are not yet familiar with.

There is always a shortage of reviewers!

Yours,
Laurenz Albe