Re: PostgreSQL 8.1.0 catalog corruption

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bob Ippolito <bob(at)redivi(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.1.0 catalog corruption
Date: 2005-11-22 01:50:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bob Ippolito <bob(at)redivi(dot)com> writes:
> I don't touch pg_class at all... this is what I'm doing (over and
> over again).

> -- clone_table is almost always a no-op, but once a day it creates a
> new table
> SELECT clone_table('ping', 'ping_%s', '')
> SELECT drop_ping_constraints('ping_%s')
> -- stuff that doesn't effect DDL
> SELECT add_ping_constraints('ping_%s')

Hm, do the drop/add constraint functions get executed even when
clone_table decides not to make a new table? If so, that would probably
explain the pattern I'm seeing in the dump of many updates of the
pg_class row.

This still doesn't give us a hint why the row disappeared, but maybe we
can try running these functions for awhile and see if anyone can
reproduce a failure.