File name as application name in regression tests and elsewhere

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: File name as application name in regression tests and elsewhere
Date: 2017-12-18 11:59:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I was doing some work over the weekend and it occurred to me that it
would be quite nice to have the input file name from regression tests
set as the application name, and then use a log_line_prefix setting
including %a, so that this would appear on the logs.

My first thought was to alter all the tests with something like "SET
application_name 'testname.sql';", but then I thought maybe a better way
would be to provide psql with a switch (--file-application-name ?) that
would do this for us, and use it in the regression suite. That should be
a pretty small patch and could be more generally useful.

Thoughts?

cheers

andrew

--