cross-database time extract?

From: Israel Brewster <israel(at)frontierflying(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: cross-database time extract?
Date: 2009-12-24 21:44:58
Lists: pgsql-general

This is sort of a PostgreSQL question/sort of a general SQL question,
so I apologize if this isn't the best place to ask. At any rate, I
know in PostgreSQL you can issue a command like 'SELECT
"time"(timestamp_column) from table_name' to get the time part of a
timestamp. The problem is that this command for some reason requires
quotes around the "time" function name, which breaks the command when
used in SQLite (I don't know about MySQL yet, but I suspect the same
would be true there). The program I am working on is designed to work
with all three types of databases (SQLite, PostgreSQL, and MySQL) so
it would be nice (save me some programing) if there was a single SQL
statement to get the time portion of a timestamp that would work with
all three. Is there such a beast? On a related note, why do we need
the quotes around "time" for the function to work in PostgreSQL? the
date function doesn't need them, so I know it's not just a general
PostgreSQL formating difference. Thanks :)
Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician II
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd