Re: Keepalives win32

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Keepalives win32
Date: 2010-06-29 00:24:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 22:39, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I had in mind just legislating that the defaults are the RFC values,
>> none of this "try to use the registry values in one case" business.

> Um, if you look at that patch, it doesn't try to use the registry. It
> falls back directly to the system default, ignoring the registry. The
> only special case is where the user doesn't specify any of the
> parameters.

What I was trying to say is I think we could dispense with the
setsockopt() code path, and just always use the WSAIoctl() path anytime
keepalives are turned on. I don't know what "system default values"
you're speaking of, if they're not the registry entries; and I
definitely don't see the point of consulting such values if they aren't
user-settable. We might as well just consult the RFCs and be done.