Re: 64 Bit / Swap Issue?

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: James Dey <james(at)mygus(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 64 Bit / Swap Issue?
Date: 2005-12-05 16:14:30
Lists: pgsql-php

Hi James,

On Dec 5, 2005, at 12:11 AM, James Dey wrote:

> “Secondly "sar" is showing that you are dipping quite a bit into
> your swap space. When dealing with a database server, any time
> that you move from RAM to swap you will see a massive performance
> drop, especially when dealing with as much swap as this machine
> has. At its peak you were hitting 70%(700M) of swap. Since
> PostgreSQL is unsupported I don't have any suggestions on query
> optimizations. However, at this point upgrading your available RAM
> would be one of my best suggestions.”
>

> Does anyone have any experience on this? Most of the things I have
> read suggest that I move back to 32 bit but I do think it’s a step
> backward – that’s if this can be supported.
Welcome to the list.

I don't have an answer for you but I'll suggest that you might have
better luck finding one on the performance list. Or even the general
list. Also there are archives for all lists which might also provide
some clues.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL